In honor of Earth Day, how about a stroll through the Sharon Rose Weichens Preserve via the To Retirement and Beyond YouTube Channel:
Here’s what else I’m reading and watching this week:
While turning thousands of acres of vacant land into houses won’t win The Villages any Earth Day awards, they do what they can to preserve some natural beauty:
- The Villages commits to conservation (The Villages Daily Sun)
You may have heard about Florida Governor Ron DeSantis taking aim at Disney this week, threatening to revoke their special district, Reedy Creek, which, similar to The Villages own special districts, allows Disney to basically self govern without much oversight from the county or state.
- Florida Republicans vote to dissolve Disney’s special district, eliminating privileges and setting up a legal battle (CNBC)
From reading that article, it doesn’t sound like the governor has any chance of this plan actually succeeding, but I thought it was kind of ironic that he announced this action while standing in The Villages.
Apparently the announcement of the elimination of Disney’s special district alarmed enough residents that The Villages District management felt it necessary to put out a statement to calm fears:
- The Villages District Office issues statement indicating it’s not part of DeSantis’ aim at Disney (Villages-News)
Most full time residents like it when the snowbirds go back north, but it puts a strain on local charity groups that rely on volunteers:
- Charity groups adjust to the seasonal exodus (The Villages Daily Sun)
- First new ambulance arrives at Station 44 (The Villages Daily Sun)
- Speaking of, here’s a good Q&A about The Villages Independent Fire Control and Rescue District, including a chart showing what all of this is going to cost residents.
Have a great week!