The Villages is a 55+ community located about an hour north of Orlando in Central Florida.
It is consistently the best-selling (and fastest growing) master-planned community in the country.
The Villages is definitely one place that’s getting cooler with age.
Check out the fun facts below.
Want a steady dose of information about The Villages? Subscribe to my free email newsletter.
- The Villages population passed 100,000 in 2012 and there are more than 132,000 residents today.
- The U.S. Census Bureau named The Villages the fastest growing Metropolitan Statistical Area for the decade 2010-2019.
- The population of the Villages grows by approximately 4,500 annually.
- To maintain its 55+ status under federal law, at least 80 percent of homes must be occupied by at least one person who is 55 years of age or older.
- The average age in The Villages for a male is 62 and female is 60.
- According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the median household income is $61,333, but The Villages Commercial Property Management promotes The Villages average household income as being $93,800.
- For the most part, people under the age of 19 years are not permitted to reside within The Villages, but may visit for a maximum of 30 days per year unless a longer exemption is granted.
- The Villages population is larger than 33 of the 67 counties in Florida
Veterans in The Villages
- The Villages is home to one of the highest concentrations of veterans of any community in the nation.
- Most estimates say that between 19,000 and 20,000 veterans call The Villages home.
- The Villages has the second-highest percentage of former members of the armed forces in the nation, trailing only Mountain Home, Idaho, which is next to an Air Force base.
- There are more than 20 veterans groups and organizations in or around The Villages, including Villagers for Veterans and the Villages Honor Flight.
- The Villages Veterans’ Memorial Park hosts ceremonies each year for observance such as Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Flag Day and more.
- New home sales in The Villages continue to average approximately 200-250 per month.
- Pre-owned home sales in The Villages are currently averaging 200 per month.
- Homes prices range from $100,000 to over 1 million dollars
- Half of the people buying homes in The Villages pay cash for their house.
- Villages range in size from 100 homes to 1550 homes. The Village of Duval is the largest with 1550 homes.
- The Villages property area covers over 33,000 acres.
- The Villages is located about an hour north of Orlando.
- The Villages occupies parts of three counties in Florida (Lake, Sumter & Marion).
- There are over 100 miles of golf cart paths.
- Approximately 150,000 people travel through The Villages each day along its busiest corridor US 441/27.
- There are five water towers in The Villages.
- There are over 1,200 miles of water mains.
- There are over 8,000 manholes in The Villages.
Shopping, Dining, & Entertainment
- There are three town squares (Spanish Springs, Lake Sumter Landing and Brownwood Paddock Square).
- A fourth town center/square has been announced.
- The Villages has over 100 dining choices on property (and many more nearby).
- Villagers spend over $200 million dollars annually in eating and drinking establishments.
- There are over 15,000 people who work in The Villages, or for businesses in the community.
- The Villages Commercial Property Management claims there is a 98 percent occupancy rate in the town squares and retail centers.
- The Villages is currently home to more than 7 million square feet of commercial buildings and retail space.
- The Villages Daily Sun has been one of the fastest-growing newspapers in the U.S. for 10 years running.
- In 2017, The Villages Daily Sun was among 12 finalists for “World’s Best-Designed Newspapers” from the Society for News Design. Other finalists included newspapers like The New York Times, The Guardian, and The Washington Post.
- There are over 2,400 organized clubs in The Villages.
- There are currently 96 recreation centers of various size and scope in The Villages.
- Villagers play 5,200 softball games each year
- The two largest recreation events in The Villages each year are Camp Villages with over 7,000 Villagers and grandchildren participating, and the Senior Games, where Villagers compete in multiple events in sixteen different sports ranging from bocce to basketball, archery to volleyball.
- 1,417 athletes participated in one or more events in this year’s Senior Games in The Villages, totaling 2,796 entries in all 16 sports.
- 157 athletes (11%) of the athletes participated in more than five events in this year’s Senior Games in The Villages.
- The Villages has more than 100 tennis courts.
- There are around 200 pickleball courts in The Villages.
- There are 6 dog parks in The Villages.
- The Villages has its own Polo stadium and Polo leagues.
- The Villages polo club has the largest polo crowds in the U.S. with over 30,000 spectators a year.
- The Villages has more holes of golf than any other community/facility in the world with currently 693 holes. (Mission Hills in China is second with 216 holes).
- There are about 10,000 tee times available each day in The Villages.
- Last year a total of 55,663 Villagers played one or more rounds of golf for a total of 2,546,611 rounds of golf. The approximate number of miles driven in golf carts for this many rounds of golf on The Villages golf courses total 6,330,365 miles. That’s a distance equivalent to driving around the world at the Equator 254 times.
- There were 1,832 holes-in-one recorded in The Villages last year. That’s 5 holes in one recorded every day of the year.
- 316 Villagers shot their age or better last year a total of 1,500 times.
- Statistically, there were 5,810,493 golf balls lost in The Villages last year.
- About one-third of Villages residents are regular golfers.
- Playing 18 holes per day, a Villager could play 38 straight days of golf in The Villages without repeating a hole.
- Golf carts are the vehicle of choice in The Villages. Though no official records are kept, most estimate that there are over 60,000 golf carts in The Villages
- The Villages Golf Cars has five showrooms in The Villages and they combine to sell more Yamaha golf cars than any other dealer in the United States.
- 315 Holes of golf in The Villages have Received Audubon International’s Silver Certified Sanctuary Designation.
- In 2011, CBS Sunday Morning featured a video segment on The Villages Golf Carts and it racked up more than 4 million views on YouTube.
Health and Public Safety
- The Villages Regional Hospital started 11 years ago with 60 beds and now has over 300 beds.
- It is now owned/operated by UF/Shands and called UF Health The Villages Hospital.
- The Villages is home to a 99,000 square foot VA Outpatient Clinic
- According to FBI Crime Data, The Villages is the safest Metropolitan Statistical Area in Florida
- The Villages Community Watch is comprised of six full time and 294 part time employees. According to the Community Watch its employees patrol 80,000 miles of neighborhood streets each month while averaging more than 3.5 passes by everyone’s home every 24 hrs. In 2011 employees performed more than 209,000 security activities or actions during the year.
- The Villages has seven fire stations. The Villages Public Safety Department has almost 90 employees, about 70% are trained medics and 30% are trained EMT’s.
- 10,230 calls were made by the Public Safety Department in The Villages last year.
- About 1% were for fires (flames), 10% were service calls, 9% were false alarms, and 80% were medical/rescue calls.
- The survival rate for sudden cardiac arrest in The Villages Fl last year was 44% – about 7 times the national average of only 6%.
- Contributing to this high survival rate are the many Villagers taking CPR training – over 7,000 in the last five years; and neighborhood CPR/AED programs.
- The Villages has its own Charter School for employee children, allowing a student to attend from Pre-K3 thru High School. The Villages Charter School is an A-rated High School with 99% of students graduating. 93% of students at The Villages Charter School advance to higher education
- The Villages Charter School has over 2,200 students per year.
Sources: The VHA, The POA, Daily Commercial, Wikipedia, Villages Commercial Property Management, Villages Community Development Districts, and Villages-News
Want more information about The Villages? Just fill out the form below and I’ll keep you updated: